'The Tanglewood' by Amber Caspian

'The Tanglewood' by Amber Caspian

Thursday 5 July 2012

...and Names

Welcome to ‘The Spinney’! 

'The Spinney' © Amber Caspian, 2012
Spinney - 1590s, from O.Fr. espinei “place full of thorns and brambles,” from espine, see spine
Spine - c.1400, "backbone," later "thornlike part" (early 15c.), from O.Fr. espine  (Fr. épine), from L. spina "backbone," originally "thorn, prickle," from PIE *spei- "sharp point" (cf. L. spica "ear of corn,")*

I chose this name for my studio because I wanted something evocative, that spoke of a hidden place where creative and magical things happen. Perhaps the home of one of my witches deep within a fairy tale, and what could be more fairy tale-esque than thorns and brambles?  It made me think of the roses motif that appear so often in these old tales along with wicked witches and a tangle of tasks that need to be completed by some poor girl.  So there's another link, this time with the idea behind The Tanglewood where I gather and untangle the threads of my passions and hope I get to the point, strengthen the backbone of my potential, within the ear of corn, the centre of myself.

So the Spinney Witch lives deep in the dark heart of The Tanglewood
 and weaves stories 
from the tangled dreams of strangers,
young girls on the verge of womanhood, and wolves...



2 comments:

  1. I love your thoughts for choosing this wonderfully interesting name. Wishing you a fabulous time in the Spinney!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Tammie, so glad you like it!

    ReplyDelete