'The Tanglewood' by Amber Caspian

'The Tanglewood' by Amber Caspian

Tuesday 5 June 2012

A Shed of One's Own


After my recent post about needing a place to paint, Creativity Ensconced, I took the plunge and spent all my savings on a rather fancy garden shed.  Of course I fell in love with a slightly unusual version with a Dutch barn roof. This gives extra storage space above and makes it feel a lot bigger and more airy, as well as being very attractive.


For me it is more than simply a space of my own; it is a commitment to my creativity, a way of honouring that deep need to connect with the inner worlds of my imagination, a refuge from day-to-day life.  The timing was perfect, the pieces of flat-packed 'shed' heavy in the rain arrived on Beltane, the time of burgeoning growth and the flowering of potential.  

It took a couple of weekends to build because we dug the base ourselves, which was exhausting, but once that was done the actual build took a warm sunny day. Then the extra bits such as fascia boards and corners, hooks to keep the doors open and electricity finished it off a couple of weekends later.

Still some things to do such as cutting out a second window and putting in some old carpet, but for now, here are some photos telling the story of it's coming to fruition...

From foundations...

...to floor...

...to walls...

...and walls...


...to roof...

...to felting...

...to fruition!

2 comments:

  1. Congratulations!
    May you find endless inspiration and create wonderfully in here!

    ReplyDelete