'The Tanglewood' by Amber Caspian

'The Tanglewood' by Amber Caspian

Sunday 5 February 2012

Brigid - Goddess of Creativity


Although I don't believe in Goddesses and Gods manifesting in tangible form before me, I do find myself attracted to the stories and symbolism behind certain ones. As we have just had the festival of Imbolc I wanted to write briefly about one in particular who is Goddess of something very close to my heart - creativity.

Brigid, Brighid, Brigit, Bride, Brigantia is the maiden goddess who is celebrated on 1/2 February, when the first signs of spring appear. She is the woman of craft, particularly of smith-craft, she is the lady of the hearth, of fire and the spark of inspiration. Worshipped by poets, she is the light that breaks the darkness, sometimes seen adorned with a crown of candles.

I painted my version of Brigid a few years ago ‘Bearing a Crown of Silver Candles’ surrounded by a few of her symbols – a branch with buds ready to burst, snowdrops, a new moon, the triple moon symbol tattooed on her forehead and one beneath her collar bone of St Brigit's cross. She has one eye closed and one open, the closed eye is about looking within for inspiration, instinct, intuition, dreams and prophesies. A third eye appears within the bowl of water representing her as seer.

'Bearing a Crown of Silver Candles' (c) Amber Caspian, 2011
Brigid calls up creative inspiration from deep within her wise-self, the flame of her hearth heart giving spring warmth and causing buds to burst forth and come alive with ideas.


No comments:

Post a Comment