'The Tanglewood' by Amber Caspian

'The Tanglewood' by Amber Caspian

Monday 6 February 2012

Silence of Snow


Snowscape in Essex

The falling of snow feels like such a gift when it happens.  The world becomes so peaceful, there's an otherworldly silence that one experiences at no other time.  The air is clear and crisp and fresh.  The bare winter branches are decorated with white crystals, thin grasses bowed under the weight of glittering crowns. 

Bearing a Crown of Silver Crystals

I went out for a walk today after heavy snowfall last night.  It was above my ankles, my boots crunching and my coat and trousers swooshing as I moved.  I stopped often to listen, the silence filled with something I cannot name, perhaps with stillness, expectation, yearning.  Also my memories of walking in the Arctic snow in Sweden. 

Arctic Landscape

I find it hard to quiet my mind but I realised that in this blanketed landscape my head is not full of chatter but feelings and images.  Words are never enough in these moments…



No comments:

Post a Comment