'The Tanglewood' by Amber Caspian

'The Tanglewood' by Amber Caspian

Saturday 2 July 2011

Midsummer Walk

I consider myself to be so fortunate on days like these. I get to walk around the beautiful Essex countryside and watch the seasons change the view.


It doesn’t seem that long ago that I was struggling to get far through deep snow drifts, and now I’m walking through long grasses, common bindweed, buttercups and daisies, with gorgeous butterflies and dragonflies wafting up in front of me.

I am fascinated by the shapes of the hemlock (I think!) heads that are both in flower, in seed and dried brown/purple on different heads of the same plant. I wonder if the weird weather has made them turn early as I am sure I usually only see the browned heads in late summer.


Many photos later, I move on following a well trodden path along the side of a field across a tiny footbridge and into a patch of wild meadow.

Lots of purple vetch...
... and giant field mushrooms predominate here.
Passed the little wood and round to cross the lane and into the great patchwork of fields and woods in which I often wander. I’m followed by numerous bees and butterflies, good to see!

It’s so hot that most of the mammals and birds are hiding quietly in the woods, it’s silent and vast and I can feel the warmth coming from the wheat fields. The stems are a little short perhaps but the heads seem fat and full of promise. Shadows and colours, textures and clouds fill my vision, the smell of earth and vegetation rises up, a light breeze touches my skin; this is truly soul’s balm.


Walking always clears my mind, earths all the stresses and worries I’m carrying and invites inspiration in. Sometimes I come away with simply a renewed peace of mind; at others I am virtually running home with ideas flapping about in my head. I find that if I carry pen and paper with me I end up writing a rather dreary diary entry so now I only take my little camera along. It goes with me everywhere!

Over 2 hours later I turn for home...

No comments:

Post a Comment