'The Tanglewood' by Amber Caspian

'The Tanglewood' by Amber Caspian

Monday 5 March 2012

Arctic Art


My thoughts return to the Arctic often, even in summer, but it doesn't feel right to post about the cold lands when the wheel turns warmer. We've had a couple of weeks with spring in the air but now we're once again amidst wind, sleet and snow and so I thought I'd take the opportunity to get one more Arctic post in.

The Arctic has intrigued me for many years, ever since I was in my teens and started reading in earnest.  It inspired me even before I had set a snow boot upon ice.  I'm the child with a slither of ice in her heart, her eye, her soul.  Not in the way of frozen emotions but instead using ice as lens, a clear eye, an enhanced vision of myself and therefore the way I express that.

Once I knew I was definitely going to Sweden it was as if the floodgates opened.  I met the group I was going with in the October before we went, spending a weekend sitting in circle and sharing our journeys to this place.  Lots of connections of having been to 'Rivenstone' at the same time, mutual friends and acquaintances.

We did a visualization to meet our inner guides and took turns to sit in the yurt in the depths of night, keeping the fires burning and wolves at bay.  We wrote letters to ourselves to be received at an unknown date, our innocent curious selves meeting our knowing adventurous selves.

Here are some of the visual pieces I created before travelling to the Land of Snow and Ice…

'Arctic Hare and I' (c) Amber Caspian (Monoprints, Oil Painting & Drum Bag)


No comments:

Post a Comment